Tuileries

(redirected from Tuileries Palace)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Wikipedia.

Tuileries

(twē`lərēz, Fr. twēlrē`), former palace in Paris. Planned by Catherine de' Medici and begun in 1564 by Philibert DelormeDelorme or de l'Orme, Philibert
, c.1510–1570, French architect. Delorme was one of the greatest architects of the Renaissance in France, but unfortunately most of his work has been destroyed.
..... Click the link for more information.
, it occupied part of the present Tuileries gardens. It was rarely used as a royal residence until 1789, when Louis XVI was forced by the revolutionists to move there from Versailles. He and his family were brought back there after their attempted flight (1792) and their arrest at Varennes. A few weeks later (Aug. 10, 1792) a mob attacked the palace (see French RevolutionFrench Revolution,
political upheaval of world importance in France that began in 1789. Origins of the Revolution

Historians disagree in evaluating the factors that brought about the Revolution.
..... Click the link for more information.
). Napoleon I made the Tuileries his chief residence, as did Louis XVIII, Charles X, Louis Philippe, and Napoleon III. During the Commune of ParisCommune of Paris,
insurrectionary governments in Paris formed during (1792) the French Revolution and at the end (1871) of the Franco-Prussian War. In the French Revolution, the Revolutionary commune, representing urban workers, tradespeople, and radical bourgeois, engineered
..... Click the link for more information.
 of 1871, the palace was destroyed by fire. The spendid formal gardens, laid out by Le NôtreLe Nôtre, André
, 1613–1700, the most famous landscape architect in French history, b. near the Tuileries; studied drawing with Simon Vouet at the Louvre.
..... Click the link for more information.
, remain and are connected to the LouvreLouvre
, foremost French museum of art, located in Paris. The building was a royal fortress and palace built by Philip II in the late 12th cent. In 1546 Pierre Lescot was commissioned by Francis I to erect a new building on the site of the Louvre.
..... Click the link for more information.
 museum.

Tuileries

 

a palace in Paris that served as one of the residences of the French kings. The Tuileries was built as part of the Louvre complex. Originally constructed in the style of French Renaissance architecture (begun in 1564, architect P. Delorme), the palace was reconstructed several times between 1664 and 1670 according to the plans of various architects, including L. Le Vau. The garden in front of the palace was redesigned in the 1660’s under the direction of A. Lenôtre.

In 1789 Louis XVI, finding it necessary to leave Versailles because of the disturbances brought on by the French Revolution, transferred his residence to the Tuileries; Parisians seized the palace on Aug. 10,1792, however, and subsequently overthrew the monarchy. From 1792 to 1795 the Convention met in the Tuileries, and from 1795 to 1799 the Council of Five Hundred convened there. On Feb. 24,1848, during the Revolution of 1848, the people took the palace by storm. On May 24, 1871, most of the Tuileries Palace was destroyed by fire during battles between Parisian Communards and the forces of the Versailles government.

The Tuileries Palace is no longer standing. One of the finest gardens in Paris is located on the site today.

References in periodicals archive ?
A plan of the main floor of the Tuileries palace between 1662 and 1763 was reconstructed by Yvan Christ in Le Louvre et les Tuileries: histoire architecturale d'un double palais (1949) (illus.3).
Napoleon kept it in his bedroom in the Tuileries Palace and, during the Franco-Prussian War of 1870-1, it was transferred for safekeeping to the Arsenal in Brest.
On February 10th, 1800, escorted by his guard, Bonaparte moved into the Tuileries palace. He soon established what his architect Pierre Fontaine called `the magnificence due to his rank'.
The Second Empire left an enduring legacy at the Louvre, whose architectural reunification with the Tuileries palace was the accomplishment of a scheme dreamed of by Louis XIV and the first Napoleon.
In the Hotel's central antechamber, Mr Garcia hung a series of blue silk panels woven with large gold fleurs-de-lys, originally commissioned for the coronation of Louis XVIII and formerly housed in the Throne Room of the Tuileries Palace, which he had bought from Mademoiselle Niclausse--an elderly Parisian spinster who had inherited them from her antique-dealer father.