Tulchin(to͞ol`chĭn), city, SW Ukraine, on the Selnitsa River. It is the center of an agricultural district and has food-processing, clothing, and shoe industries. Probably founded by Hungarians, it later became a Polish fortress. After the battles between the Poles and Chmielnicki's Cossacks, it was assigned by the Treaty of Zborov (1649) to Ukraine. It reverted to Polish rule in 1654 but passed to Russia during the second partition of Poland in 1793. In 1821 the city became the stronghold of the Decembrists. An alternate spelling is Tultchin.
a city and administrative center of Tul’chin Raion, Vinnitsa Oblast, Ukrainian SSR. Located on the Sel’nitsa River, a tributary of the Iuzhnyi Bug, 13 km from the Zhuravlevka railroad station on the Vapniarka-Zhmerinka line. Population, 14,600 (1975).
Tul’chin became known in 1607 as the Polish fortress of Nes-terwar in Braclaw Województwo. In 1649 it became a village and acquired its present name. From 1672 to 1699 it was under Turkish rule, and in the second half of the 18th century it belonged to the Potocki magnates of Poland. In 1792 it was the residence of the Confederation of Targowica, and in 1793 it became part of the Russian Empire. From 1795 to 1804 it was a district center of Podol’sk Province, but lost its status in 1804 and reverted to the status of a village. From 1796 to 1797, Tul’chin was the headquarters of A. V. Suvorov. In 1818 the Tul’chin Council of the Union of Welfare was formed there, and in 1823 the council became the center of the Southern Society of Decembrists. Soviet power was established in Tul’chin in January 1918. Tul’chin was repeatedly seized by interventionists and by Petliura’s and Denikin’s troops. It was finally liberated by the Red Army in June 1920. Tul’chin became a city in 1926 and part of Vinnitsa Oblast in 1932. From July 23, 1941, through Mar. 15, 1944, it was occupied by fascist German and Rumanian troops. In the postwar years the city’s industrial enterprises were restored.
Industry in Tul’chin includes a meat-packing plant, a bread-baking combine, a cannery, a creamery, and footwear and garment factories. The city has a veterinary technicum and a cultural and educational school. The P. I. Pestel’ Museum and a museum of local lore are located in Tul’chin.