(full name, A. M. Gorky Turkmen University), a university founded in Ashkhabad in 1950, replacing a pedagogical institute. In the 1960’s, the university’s engineering departments formed the basis for a new polytechnical institute.
As of 1975, Turkmen University had departments of Russian philology, Turkmen philology, foreign languages, history, law, biogeography, economics, mathematics, physics, and physical education. The university also had evening, correspondence, and preparatory divisions; a graduate school; 47 subdepartments; a special-problems laboratory; and a library containing more than 500,000 books and periodicals. In the 1975–76 academic year, the university had more than 10,000 students and 665 instructors and research workers, including 12 professors and doctors of sciences and 240 candidates of sciences and docents. The university has published the series Uchenye zapiski (Learned Transactions) since 1954. More than 20,000 specialists were trained at Turkmen University between 1950 and 1975.
S. N. MURADOV