Trnava

(redirected from Tyrnau)
Also found in: Wikipedia.

Trnava

Trnava (tûrˈnävä), Ger. Tyrnau, Hung. Nagyszombat, city (1991 pop. 71,783), W central Slovakia. The market for a fertile agricultural region, it produces motor vehicles, refined sugar, agricultural machinery, and railroad cars. The city is also a Roman Catholic episcopal see. Founded in the 6th or 7th cent., Trnava was a center of Slovak Catholicism in the Middle Ages; it is called the Slovak Rome because of its many churches and monasteries, notably the fine Gothic cathedral.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia™ Copyright © 2022, Columbia University Press. Licensed from Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
The following article is from The Great Soviet Encyclopedia (1979). It might be outdated or ideologically biased.

Trnava

 

a city in Czechoslovakia, in the Slovak Socialist Republic, in West Slovakia. Population, 46,600 (1974).

Industry in Trnava includes the processing of agricultural products and machine building. An atomic power plant is located near the city. Among Trnava’s architectural monuments are the Church of St. Nicholas (14th to 17th centuries), with a baroque chapel (mid–18th century; G. R. Donner), and the Franciscan Church (14th century), both in the Gothic style, and the Jesuit University Church and Invalid Church (17th century), both in the baroque style.

The Great Soviet Encyclopedia, 3rd Edition (1970-1979). © 2010 The Gale Group, Inc. All rights reserved.
References in periodicals archive ?
In Berlin, in contrast, in another edition of Tyrnau's Minhagim (1703, fig.
Its roots were in the Hebrew Sefer minhagim written in the late fourteenth or early fifteenth century by the Hungarian rabbi Eyzik (Isaac) Tyrnau, one of a number of such works from the late Middle Ages.
Leaning heavily on Tyrnau's model, the author-editor-translator of this edition was Simon Levi ben Yehuda Gunzburg, who had come to Italy from Swabia; the printer was Giovanni ("Zuan" in Venetian dialect) di Gara, a Christian who specialized in Jewish works.
Yiddish editions closer in style to the 1593 Venice edition were published in Basel in 1610 and 1611, and a Prague edition also appeared in 1611, one of the few to mention the name of Eyzik Tyrnau. The first in a long list of Amsterdam editions appeared in 1645.
Ezik Tyrnau. Born in Vienna, Tyrnau had been a disciple of Rabbi Abraham Klausner, who had written his own Sefer haminhagim, later published (in Hebrew) in Riva di Trento in 1558.