Ufa Petroleum Refinery

The following article is from The Great Soviet Encyclopedia (1979). It might be outdated or ideologically biased.

Ufa Petroleum Refinery

 

one of the largest enterprises of the petroleum-refining industry in the USSR. The Ufa Petroleum Refinery produces high-octane gasoline, low-sulfur diesel fuel, polymer distillates, and catalysts for selective hydrogenation, polymerization, and cracking. Its products also include asphalt, gaseous sulfur, concentrates of individual hydrocarbons, and furnace and household heating oil.

Construction of the refinery was begun in 1935, and the first gasoline was produced in 1938. During the Great Patriotic War (1941–45) the refinery was on several occasions awarded the Red Banner of the State Defense Committee as a challenge prize in recognition of its uninterrupted supply of fuel to the front.

The refinery’s catalytic cracking unit, the catalyst works, and other sections were built in the 1950’s and 1960’s. Since 1960 the refinery has been expanded and rebuilt to increase the efficiency of processing high-sulfur petroleum. A second unit was built for the production of catalysts, and progressive technologies such as hydrorefining of diesel fuel and catalytic reforming have been introduced. One of the most powerful refining units in the USSR has also been built at the refinery.

The Ufa Petroleum Refinery was awarded the Order of Lenin in 1948.

E. A. BUGAI

The Great Soviet Encyclopedia, 3rd Edition (1970-1979). © 2010 The Gale Group, Inc. All rights reserved.