Ulysses S Grant National Historic Site


Also found in: Acronyms.

Ulysses S Grant National Historic Site

Address:7400 Grant Rd
Saint Louis, MO 63123

Phone:314-842-3298
Fax:314-842-1659
Web: www.nps.gov/ulsg/
Size: 9.6 acres.
Established: Established on October 3, 1989.
Location:On Grant Rd., off Route 30 (Gravois Rd.), in south Saint Louis County, Missouri.
Facilities:Rest rooms (é), visitor center (é), museum/exhibit.
Activities:Self-guided tours, ranger-led interpretive programs.
Special Features:Site includes a portion of the 1,100-acre plantation where Ulysses S. Grant lived during the 1850s. Although Grant never returned as a permanent resident during the Civil War and his Presidency, he bought the property in 1863 from his father-in-law, Frederick Dent, and held it until a few months before his death in 1885. Five historic structures of Grant's home, known as "White Haven," remain, including a two-story residence, a barn, and a stone building believed to have housed Grant's father-in-law's slaves. Property was originally purchased by the Dent family in 1821.

See other parks in Missouri.