Uppsala, University of

Uppsala, University of,

at Uppsala, Sweden; founded 1477 by Sten Sture, the Elder, and Archbishop Jakob Ulvsson. Its activities were suspended in 1510 as a result of religious disputes. It was reorganized in 1595. It is the oldest university of N Europe and has ranked among the world's great universities since its reorganization. The university's library contains more than 1 million volumes and about 20,000 manuscripts, notably the Codex argenteus of Bishop UlfilasUlfilas
or Wulfila
[Gothic,=little wolf], c.311–383, Gothic bishop, translator of the Bible into Gothic. He was converted to Christianity at Constantinople and was consecrated bishop (341) by the Arian bishop Eusebius of Nicomedia.
..... Click the link for more information.
 The university has faculties of theology, law, medicine, arts (historical-philosophical and linguistic), social science, science, and pharmacy and an institute of cancer research.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia™ Copyright © 2013, Columbia University Press. Licensed from Columbia University Press. All rights reserved. www.cc.columbia.edu/cu/cup/
The following article is from The Great Soviet Encyclopedia (1979). It might be outdated or ideologically biased.

Uppsala, University of

 

the oldest and one of the largest of the universities of Sweden. The University of Uppsala was founded in 1477 by Archbishop Jakob Ulfson. In the 18th century C. Linnaeus taught medicine and natural science at the university, and A. Celsius taught astronomy.

As of 1974, the university had seven faculties: law, social sciences, theology, medicine, arts, pharmacy, and the natural sciences. The faculty of arts consisted of a division of history and philosophy and a division of linguistics; the faculty of natural sciences had a division of chemistry, a division of mathematics and physics, and a division of biology and geography. The university has a botanical garden and a museum, which were founded by Linnaeus, and an astronomical observatory, which was established by Celsius. An institute of Slavic studies was founded in the 1950’s. The university has a sizable collection of historical and archival documents, including Egyptian papyruses. The library was founded in 1620 and contains more than 1.5 million volumes. During the 1974–75 academic year the university’s enrollment totaled 20,000, and its teaching staff numbered 600, including 180 professors.

The Great Soviet Encyclopedia, 3rd Edition (1970-1979). © 2010 The Gale Group, Inc. All rights reserved.