Urals Polytechnic Institute

Urals Polytechnic Institute

 

(full name, S. M. Kirov Urals Polytechnic Institute), an institution of higher learning founded in 1920 as part of Urals University. In 1924–25 the institute became independent of the university, and in 1930 it was reorganized into a number of branch institutes. In 1934 the branches were consolidated as the Urals Industrial Institute, and the institute was named in honor of S. M. Kirov in the same year. In 1948 it was renamed the S. M. Kirov Urals Polytechnic Institute.

As of 1975, the institute had departments of metallurgy, technology, chemical technology, electrical engineering, mechanics, construction engineering, economics engineering, physical technology, radio engineering, silicate technology, and thermal engineering. It also had five evening divisions, four correspondence schools, and general technology departments in Verkhniaia Salda, Kamensk-Ural’skii, Krasnotur’insk, Pervoural’sk, Petropavlovsk (Kazakh SSR), and Serov.

In addition, the institute maintains four educational counseling offices, a branch in Nizhnii Tagil’, three departments for advanced training in various disciplines, a preparatory division, a graduate school, 99 subdepartments, a computer center, and a scientific research center with eight specialized laboratories and 11 branch laboratories. The library contains 1.7 million volumes.

In the 1975–76 academic year, 26,500 students were enrolled in the institute. The faculty consisted of more than 3,000 teachers and research workers, including one academician of the Academy of Sciences of the USSR and one corresponding member, 93 professors and doctors of sciences, and 850 docents and candidates of sciences. The institute is authorized to grant the degrees of doctor and candidate. The institute has published its transactions since 1936. It has trained more than 75,000 engineers.

The institute was awarded the Order of the Red Banner of Labor in 1967.

F. P. ZAOSTROVSKII

References in periodicals archive ?
The creator of this collection is an electrical engineer by profession, who graduated from the Urals Polytechnic Institute in 1962, then served three years in naval aviation.