(full name, A. M. Gorky Urals University), an institution of higher learning located in Sverdlovsk. The Urals University was founded in 1920. In 1924–25 it was reorganized into independent polytechnical, medical, and forestry institutes. The university was reestablished in 1931, and in 1936 it was named in honor of A. M. Gorky, who had helped organize it. In 1967 the economics department of the university became an independent institute.
As of 1975, the university had departments of mathematics and mechanics, physics, chemistry, biology, history, philology, philosophy, and journalism. It also had two departments for advanced training in education, an evening division, a correspondence school, a graduate school, an institute for advanced training in the teaching of the social sciences, 48 subdepartments, two specialized laboratories, a computer center, an observatory, and a botanical garden. The library contained more than 950,000 volumes.
In the 1975–76 academic year, 6,800 students were enrolled in the university. The faculty comprised 650 teachers and research workers, including 35 professors and doctors of sciences and 220 docents and candidates of sciences. The teaching staff includes the academicians of the Academy of Sciences of the USSR S. V. Vonsovskii and N. N. Krasovskii and the corresponding members V. K. Ivanov and B. P. Kolesnikov. The university publishes scholarly collections on selected topics. The university has trained more than 20,000 specialists.
The Urals University was awarded the Red Banner of Labor in 1970.
V. A. KUZNETSOV