a city and administrative center of Ustiuzhna Raion, Vologda Oblast, RSFSR. Situated on the Mologa River (which empties into the Rybinsk Reservoir), 54 km northeast of the Pestovo railroad station on the Sonkovo-Kabozha line. The city is a highway junction.
Ustiuzhna was first mentioned in 1252 as part of the principality of Uglich under the name of Zheleznyi Ustiug. It was founded on the site of an ancient ironworks. Beginning in the 16th century, the city was called Ustiuzhna-Zheleznopol’skaia. In the 18th century it produced iron parts for ships and cannons, cannonballs, and arms. In 1738, Ustiuzhna became a district seat in Novgorod Province. With the development of metallurgical plants in the Urals, the industrial significance of Ustiuzhna declined.
Soviet power was established in Ustiuzhna on Jan. 27, 1918. In 1937 the city became a part of Vologda Oblast. The city has a creamery. An agricultural technicum and a museum of local lore are also located there.