Also found in: Wikipedia.
a city and administrative center of Valga Raion, Estonian SSR. Located on the Estonian-Latvian border on the Pedja River (part of the Vörtsjärv Lake basin).
Adjacent to Valga on the east is the city of Valka (Latvian SSR), with which it forms a single urban area. It is a railroad junction for lines to Riga, Tartu, and Pskov. The population of Valga in 1969 was 15,900. There is a plant producing mixed feeds and a distillery, as well as a sewing factory in Valga. Furniture is also produced there. There is â museum of local lore. Valga was established in 1584.