Also found in: Wikipedia.
a city, administrative center of Vel’sk Raion Arkhangel’sk Oblast, RSFSR. Located on the Vel’ River, at its confluence with the Vaga River (Severnaia Dvina Basin). Its railroad station is on the Konosha-Kotlas line, Population, 19,000 (1968). Vel’sk is a center of a lumber procurement and agricultural region. It is a base for timber transport and has a mechanical repair plant and meat and dairy combines. It also has an agricultural technicum, a technicum of accounting and economics and a museum of local lore. Vel’sk was first mentioned in the year 1137 and became a city in 1780.