Vera Pavlovna Redlikh
Redlikh, Vera Pavlovna
Born Mar. 31 (Apr. 12), 1894, in the village of Nikolaevka, now in Kharkov Oblast. Soviet stage director. People’s Artist of the RSFSR (1956). Member of the CPSU since 1942.
Redlikh studied at the theatrical school of the Moscow Art Theater beginning in 1914 and in the theater’s Second Studio. She acted in the Yaroslavl, Vladivostok, and other theaters. In 1932 she became a stage director at the Red Torch theater in Novosibirsk, and from 1943 to 1960 she was principal director. Among her important productions are Chepurin’s Stalingraders (1944, with N. F. Mikhailov), Gorky’s The Zykovs (1944) and The Last Ones (1948), Leonov’s An Ordinary Man (1947), Shakespeare’s Hamlet and Chekhov’s The Seagull (both 1952), Shtein’s A Personal Case (1955), The Kremlin Chimes by Pogo-din and The Village of Stepanchikovo, adapted from Dostoev-sky’s novella (both 1956), and Salynskii’s The Drummer Girl (1959).
Redlikh worked productively with the Novosibirsk dramatists E. Rogozinskaia (The Twentieth Anniversary, 1949) and V. V. Lavrent’ev (The Kriazhevs, 1953; The Radiant One, 1954). From 1960 to 1964 she headed the Gorky Russian Theater in Minsk, where her most important production was Shakespeare’s Antony and Cleopatra (1964).
Redlikh began teaching in 1936 and in 1960 joined the staff of the Byelorussian Theatrical Institute, where she became a professor in 1966 in the subdepartment of acting. She has received three orders and several medals.