Vienne(redirected from Vienne (département))
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus.
Vienne,river, 230 mi (370 km) long, rising in the Massif Central, central France, and flowing W past Limoges, then N into the Loire near Saumur.
Vienne(vyĕn), department (1990 pop. 380,900), W central France, in PoitouPoitou
, region and former province, W France, stretching from the Atlantic coast eastward beyond the Vienne River. The former province encompassed three modern departments—Vendée in the west, Deux-Sèvres in the center, and Vienne in the east—as well as
..... Click the link for more information. . PoitiersPoitiers
, city (1990 pop. 82,507), capital of Vienne dept., W central France, on the Clain River. The ancient capital of Poitou, it is now an industrial, agricultural, and communications center.
..... Click the link for more information. is the capital.
Vienne,town (1990 pop. 30,386), Isère dept., SE France, on the Rhône River. It is a farm trade center with textile, metallurgical, and footwear industries. The capital of the Allobroges, Vienne (then Vienna) became one of the chief cities of Roman Gaul, one of the first archiepiscopal sees (suppressed in 1790), and the seat of several kings of Burgundy (5th–9th cent.; see under BurgundyBurgundy
, Fr. Bourgogne , historic region, E France. The name once applied to a large area embracing several kingdoms, a free county (see Franche-Comté), and a duchy.
..... Click the link for more information. ). A council held there abolished (1312) the Knights TemplarsKnights Templars
, in medieval history, members of the military and religious order of the Poor Knights of Christ, called the Knights of the Temple of Solomon from their house in Jerusalem.
..... Click the link for more information. . Rich in Roman remains, Vienne has the temple of Augustus and Livia (c.25 B.C.), which rivals the Maison Carrée of Nîmes; a 1st-century theater and temple of the goddess Cybele are thought to be the remains of a Greek colony. The Church of St. Pierre (partly 6th cent.), the Church of St. André-le-Bas (12th cent.), and the Church of St. Maurice (12th–16th cent.) are also of interest.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia™ Copyright © 2013, Columbia University Press. Licensed from Columbia University Press. All rights reserved. www.cc.columbia.edu/cu/cup/
1. a department of W central France, in Poitou-Charentes region. Capital: Poitiers. Pop.: 402 555 (2003 est.). Area: 7044 sq. km (2747 sq. miles)
2. a town in SE France, on the River Rh?ne: extensive Roman remains
3. a river in SW central France, flowing west and north to the Loire below Chinon. Length: over 350 km (200 miles)
Collins Discovery Encyclopedia, 1st edition © HarperCollins Publishers 2005