a city, the center of Vladimir-Volynskii Raion, Volyn’ Oblast, Ukrainian SSR. Railroad station on the Kovel’-Chervonograd railroad line. Population, 28,000 (1970). Vladimir-Volynskii is mentioned in the Primary Chronicle for 988. From 988 to 1336 it was the capital of the Vladimir-Volynskii Principality. Then it fell under the power of Polish feudal lords and in 1370 became part of Lithuania. In 1569 it again became part of Poland. It was united to Russia in 1795 and seized by Poland in 1919. In 1926 a trial of 151 members of the Communist Party of Western Ukraine was held in Vladimir-Volynskii; 131 of the defendants were condemned to long imprisonment on Jan. 10, 1927. In September 1939 Vladimir-Volynskii was reunited to the Ukrainian SSR.
The city has food industries (creamery, winery, sugar plant, and cannery) and furniture and clothing factories. There is a technicum for problems devoted to draining and irrigating land and mechanization in agriculture and a pedagogical school. The city has a medieval radial-semicircular plan. The Uspenskii Cathedral (1160) was re-stored in the late 19th century; other noteworthy monuments are the eight-petaled (in design) Vasilii Church (late 13th and early 14th centuries), and the bishop’s chambers (16th century) in the Renaissance style. There is a memorial to the victims of fascism (1965-66; sculptors, E. V. Dzindra and T. M. Brizh).