(All-Union Foreign Trade Publishing House), an organization that publishes foreign trade and tourist advertising and technical documents on Soviet export goods in Russian and foreign languages and arranges for the publication of Soviet books and advertising materials by foreign printing companies. It publishes more than 20,000 items a year.
Vneshtorgizdat was founded in Moscow in 1922 as the Publishing Subdivision of the Narkomvneshtorg (People’s Commissariat of Foreign Trade). The publishing house underwent several name changes in ensuing years (Narkomvneshtorg Publishing House, Torgizdat, Eksportizdat) before it was finally named Vneshtorgizdat in 1931. In 1964 the management of Vneshtorgizdat was transferred from the Ministry of Foreign Trade to the Committee on Publishing, Printing, and Book Trade of the Council of Ministers of the USSR. In 1970, Vneshtorgizdat consisted of six chief editorial offices and five divisions—4n Leningrad, the Urals (Sverdlovsk), Siberia (Novosibirsk), the Ukraine (Kiev), and Middle Asia (Tashkent)—as well as an import office (Moscow).