Also found in: Wikipedia.
a city (before 1940, the settlement of Lopatino); the center of Volzhsk Raion, Mari ASSR. A landing on the left bank of the Kuibyshev Reservoir and a railroad station on a branch line from Zelenodol’sk, which is located on the loshkar-Ola-Urianovsk line. Population, 43,000 (1970). The city has a large cellulose and paper combine and wood-processing combines. There is a branch of the All-Union Paper Research Institute and a technicum for the cellulose and paper industry.