Warsaw Automobile Plant

The following article is from The Great Soviet Encyclopedia (1979). It might be outdated or ideologically biased.

Warsaw Automobile Plant

 

an enterprise of the Polish automobile industry. Construction of the plant began in 1948 on the basis of Soviet licenses and technical design. A substantial portion of the machinery and equipment were also obtained from the USSR. The projected annual production was 25,000 medium-displacement Warszawa automobiles. Product delivery began in 1951.

As a result of factory modernization and enlargement, production was begun on the Syrena small-displacement au- tomobile and on half-ton pickup trucks. In addition, there has been an increase in the output of individual subassem- blies for the Warszawa, which are used by other enterprises in the production of small buses and Nysa vans, Zuk trucks, and ambulances. The Polski Fiat 125 R is also being pro- duced (based on licenses acquired from the Italian FIAT company). In 1967 the plant delivered 28,000 automobiles, and in 1968, about 41,000. A systematic production increase is planned; production in 1975 should be about 150,000 vehi- cles per year.

A. V. KOMISSAROV

The Great Soviet Encyclopedia, 3rd Edition (1970-1979). © 2010 The Gale Group, Inc. All rights reserved.