Also found in: Wikipedia.
West Chester,borough (1990 pop. 18,041), seat of Chester co., SE Pa., W of Philadelphia; inc. 1799. Primarily residential, West Chester was long the trade and processing center for an agricultural region that is now mainly suburbs. Pharmaceuticals and high-technology products are among the borough's diversified manufactures. West Chester Univ. of Pennsylvania is located there. Brandywine Battlefield State Park, on the site of the battle of BrandywineBrandywine, battle of,
in the American Revolution, fought Sept. 11, 1777, along Brandywine Creek. The creek, formed by two small branches in SE Pennsylvania, flows southeast to join, near Wilmington, Del., the Christina River, which empties into the Delaware.
..... Click the link for more information. (1777), is nearby. The Turk's Head Inn (1747), an early stagecoach stop, still stands.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia™ Copyright © 2013, Columbia University Press. Licensed from Columbia University Press. All rights reserved. www.cc.columbia.edu/cu/cup/