Western Siberian Branch of the Academy of Sciences of the Union of
Western Siberian Branch of the Academy of Sciences of the Union of Soviet Socialist Republics
organized in 1943 in Novosibirsk. Its scientific institutions were the institutes of mining and geology, chemistry and metallurgy, transportation and power engineering, and medicine and biology; and it had departments of technical physics, radio physics and electronics, economics, and agricultural land reclamation. The main trends of the scientific research of the branch were closely connected with the study and further development of the productive potential of Western Siberia.
In 1957, when the Siberian Division of the Academy of Sciences of the USSR was organized with the center in Novosibirsk, it absorbed the scientific institutions of the Western Siberian Branch. The branch used to publish Izvestiia Zapadno-Sibirskogo filiala AN SSSR.