Wilson(redirected from Wilsonian)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Wikipedia.
Wilson,city (1990 pop. 36,930), seat of Wilson co., E N.C., in a rich agricultural region; inc. 1849. It is a commercial and industrial center with a large tobacco market. There is tobacco and food processing and the manufacture of metal, paper, plastic, glass, fiberglass, and electrical products; chemicals; and apparel. Barton College is there.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia™ Copyright © 2013, Columbia University Press. Licensed from Columbia University Press. All rights reserved. www.cc.columbia.edu/cu/cup/
1. Alexander. 1766--1813, Scottish ornithologist in the US
2. Sir Angus (Frank Johnstone). 1913--91, British writer, whose works include the collection of short stories The Wrong Set (1949) and the novels Anglo-Saxon Attitudes (1956) and No Laughing Matter (1967)
3. Charles Thomson Rees. 1869--1959, Scottish physicist, who invented the cloud chamber: shared the Nobel prize for physics 1927
4. Edmund. 1895--1972, US critic, noted esp for Axel's Castle (1931), a study of the symbolist movement
5. (James) Harold, Baron Wilson of Rievaulx. 1916--95, British Labour statesman; prime minister (1964--70; 1974--76)
6. Jacqueline. born 1945, British writer for older girls; her best-selling books include The Story of Tracey Beaker (1991), The Illustrated Mum (1998), and Girls in Tears (2002).
7. Richard. 1714--82, Welsh landscape painter
8. (Thomas) Woodrow . 1856--1924, US Democratic statesman; 28th president of the US (1913--21). He led the US into World War I in 1917 and proposed the Fourteen Points (1918) as a basis for peace. Although he secured the formation of the League of Nations, the US Senate refused to support it: Nobel peace prize 1919
Collins Discovery Encyclopedia, 1st edition © HarperCollins Publishers 2005