Born Feb. 25, 1906, in Grodzisk Wielkopolski. Polish chemist. Member of the Polish Academy of Sciences (1956); president of the academy from 1972 to 1977.
In 1929, Trzebiatowski graduated from the L’vov Polytechnic Institute, where he remained as a lecturer in the department of chemistry until 1937. He was a professor of inorganic chemistry at the University of L’vov from 1938 to 1945, and from 1946 to 1968 he was a professor of inorganic chemistry at both Wroclaw University and the Wroclaw Technical University. From 1967 to 1974 he served as the director of the Institute of Low-temperature and Structure Research of the Polish Academy of Sciences, and in 1968 he became the director of the Wroclaw International Laboratory for Strong Magnetic Fields and Low Temperatures. His principal works deal with magnetochemistry, low-temperature physics, and the technology of nonferrous and rare metals.
In 1971, Trzebiatowski became a member of the Central Committee of the Polish United Workers’ Party. He received the State Prize of the Polish People’s Republic in 1974. In 1976, Trzebiatowski became a foreign member of the Academy of Sciences of the USSR, and in the same year he was awarded the Order of Friendship of Peoples.