air gas

(redirected from Wood gas)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Wikipedia.

air gas

[′er ‚gas]
(materials)
A gaseous fuel made by blowing air through a coal or coke bed so that CO2 is reduced to CO.
References in periodicals archive ?
After being cooled and filtered, the wood gas is pulled through two branches of PVC piping to the engine compartment.
The cooled, clean wood gas is directed to fittings Keith has installed in the engine's air cleaner housing.
Impressive as the old Ford was, I was eager to see Keith's seventh wood gas truck conversion, the '93 Dakota.
"I beat out 12 other vehicles that were running [in other categories] on gasoline, and beat the team with the prior wood gas record of 47.7 mph."
We drove about a quarter of a mile on gasoline, then he switched over to wood gas with the touch of a lever.
Since wood gas is slow-burning, it helps to advance the timing a bit.
As far as how the wood gas system performs throughout the year, Keith says the vehicle performs slightly better on crisp days, when humidity is lower.
Even Wayne Keith arguably the best advocate for wood gas says that 75 percent of success comes down to operator knowledge and experience; the system itself accounts for the remaining 25 percent.
Despite all the money that Keith has saved via wood gas, it's the self-reliance that is the most satisfying benefit.
* Large-displacement engines have more power and give better results on wood gas.
* High compression improves performance with wood gas: It burns slowly and has great antiknock qualities.
* It is possible to convert diesel engines to use wood gas, if given the correct compression ratio.