Yaroslavl, University of

The following article is from The Great Soviet Encyclopedia (1979). It might be outdated or ideologically biased.

Yaroslavl, University of

 

(1) A higher educational institution founded in Yaroslavl in 1969. In 1978 the university had departments of physics, mathematics, psychology and biology, history and law, and economics, with 28 subdepartments and 50 laboratories. It has evening and preparatory divisions and offers a graduate program. The library holds some 285,000 volumes. More than 2,500 students are enrolled at the university, which has approximately 250 teachers, including 25 professors and doctors of sciences and 126 docents and candidates of sciences. The university’s publication Vestnik has been issued since 1972.

(2) A higher educational institution that was organized in Yaroslavl in 1918 from the Yaroslavl Lycée. The university had departments of medicine (organized 1919), agronomy (1920), pedagogy (1922), and social sciences (including a law division until 1922). The university was closed in 1924 when the country’s higher educational institutions were reorganized; the pedagogical department became the Yaroslavl Pedagogical Institute (now the K. D. Ushinskii Yaroslavl Pedagogical Institute).

The Great Soviet Encyclopedia, 3rd Edition (1970-1979). © 2010 The Gale Group, Inc. All rights reserved.