Yerevan Medical Institute

The following article is from The Great Soviet Encyclopedia (1979). It might be outdated or ideologically biased.

Yerevan Medical Institute

 

founded in 1922 as the Yerevan Higher Medical School; became the department of medicine of the University of Yerevan the same year. The department became a medical institute in 1930. In 1971 the institute had departments of therapy, sanitation and hygiene, pediatrics, and stomatology (with instruction in Russian and Armenian), a graduate department, an interns’ clinic, 58 sub-departments, a central scientific research laboratory, and 20 teaching and scientific laboratories.

In the 1970-71 academic year, the Yerevan Medical Institute had 3,300 students and employed about 450 teachers and scientific workers, including seven academicians and corresponding members of the Academy of Medical Sciences of the USSR and the Academy of Sciences of the Armenian SSR, 65 professors and doctors of science, and 235 assistant professors and candidates of science. The institute is empowered to hear defenses of doctoral and candidates’ dissertations; it publishes scientific and scholarly literature.

In the period from 1922 to 1970, the institute trained about 7,500 physicians.

The Great Soviet Encyclopedia, 3rd Edition (1970-1979). © 2010 The Gale Group, Inc. All rights reserved.