Yerevan Zooveterinary Institute

The following article is from The Great Soviet Encyclopedia (1979). It might be outdated or ideologically biased.

Yerevan Zooveterinary Institute

 

created in 1931 from the Transcaucasian Veterinary Institute (founded in 1928) and the Transcaucasian Institute of Livestock Management (founded in 1930).

In 1971 the institute had departments of livestock management, veterinary science (with full-time and correspondence courses), and the technology of milk and milk products; a graduate department; 30 subdepartments; a veterinary clinic; four research laboratories; an experimental farm; a training and experimental plant; and two museums.

The institute library contains 215,000 volumes. In the 1970-71 academic year, 2,600 students were enrolled at the institute, which employed 200 instructors, including 29 professors and doctors of science and 101 docents and candidates of science. The institute is empowered to hear defenses of doctoral and candidates’ dissertations; it has published Transactions (in Russian) since 1934.

Since the year of its founding, the institute has trained about 7,000 specialists.

The Great Soviet Encyclopedia, 3rd Edition (1970-1979). © 2010 The Gale Group, Inc. All rights reserved.