Zaporozhe Automobile Plant
Zaporozh’e Automobile Plant
(full name, Zaporozh’e Kommunar Automobile Plant), a plant that manufactures passenger automobiles and spare parts, as well as malleable and gray-iron castings.
The plant was established as a farm-implement factory in 1863 in the city of Aleksandrovsk (now Zaporozh’e). In 1921 it was given the name “Kommunar.” During the prewar five year plans (1929–40), the plant was rebuilt and expanded; from 1930 it was the first Soviet combine-building plant. During the fascist German occupation of Zaporozh’e (1941–43), the fascists completely destroyed the plant. After its restoration (1944–47), Kommunar began to manufacture S-6 combines, reapers, and other harvesting machines. In 1960 the plant began series production of the first “Zaporozhets” (model ZAZ-965) compact cars. By 1971 the plant was manufacturing the ZAZ-966-V, ZAZ-966, and ZAZ-968 passenger cars. In comparison with 1960, manufacturing output increased 2.8 times in 1963, 3.8 times in 1965, and 7.9 times in 1969. The plant was awarded the Order of the Red Banner of Labor in 1963.
V. D. DOSAEV