an old Russian fortified town (llth-13th centuries); its site is located near the present-day village of Zarubintsy in Pereiaslav-Khmel’nitskii Raion, Kiev Oblast, Ukrainian SSR, on the right bank of the Dnieper River opposite the mouth of the Trubezh River.
Zarub was probably founded for the defense of the Dnieper river crossing. The town is frequently mentioned in the chronicles (1096, 1146, 1151, 1156, and 1223) in connection with military actions of the Russian princes and the Polovtsy. There are traces of a large settlement dating from the time of Kievan Rus’. Archaeological excavations in 1948-49 led by M. K. Karger unearthed remains of two stone churches (11th and 12th centuries) of the Zarub Monastery nearby in the Tserkovishche locality. The churches were decorated with frescoes, mosaics, and glazed ceramic tiles.