Also found in: Dictionary, Wikipedia.
Zwickau(tsvĭk`ou), city (1994 pop. 107,988), Saxony, E central Germany, on the Mulde River. It is an industrial city and until the late 1970s was the center of a coal mining region. Manufactures include machinery, textiles, and automobile parts. Zwickau was chartered in the early 13th cent., and it was a free imperial city from 1290 to 1323, when it passed to the margraves of Meissen. The city was (1520–23) the center of the Anabaptist movement of Thomas MünzerMünzer or Müntzer, Thomas
, c.1489–1525, radical German Protestant reformer. During his studies at Leipzig (1518) Münzer fell under the influence of Martin Luther.
..... Click the link for more information. . It was repeatedly plundered during the Thirty Years War (1618–48). Noteworthy buildings include a basilica (12th–15th cent.), the Church of St. Catherine (14th cent.), and the city hall (15th cent.). Robert SchumannSchumann, Robert Alexander
, 1810–56, German composer. Both as a composer and as a highly articulate music critic he was a leader of the romantic movement. He studied theory with Heinrich Dorn and piano with Friedrich Wieck, whose daughter Clara he married.
..... Click the link for more information. was born (1810) in Zwickau, and the city has a Schumann museum.
a city in the German Democratic Republic (GDR), in Karl-Marx-Stadt District; situated on the Mulde River, in the northern foothills of the Ore Mountains (Erzgebirge). Population, 122,500 (1975). Zwickau, an important railroad junction and industrial center, has various enterprises of the machine-building industry, including the Sachsenring Automobile Plant. Transport containers, miner’s lamps, ceramics, and textiles are manufactured. Zwickau is a coal-mining center, located near the Zwickau-Oelsnitz Basin. It has a higher engineering school, a pedagogical institute, and a conservatory. The house-museum of the composer Robert Schumann is located in the city. Architectural monuments include the Church of St. Mary (15th–16th centuries) and the 15th-century town hall, which was rebuilt in the 19th century.