POP(redirected from a pop)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Idioms.
1. Internet post office protocol: a protocol which brings e-mail to and from a mail server
2. Environment persistent organic pollutant
To obtain information from the top of a stack and then reset a pointer to the next item in the stack.
A drill hole blasted to reduce larger pieces of rock or to trim a working face. Also known as pop hole; pop shot.
POP[pöp or ¦pē¦ō′pē]
POP(1) (Point of Presence) The point at which a line from a long distance carrier (IXC) connects to the line of the local telephone company or to the user if the local company is not involved. For dial-up access to the Internet via analog modem, the POP is the local telephone exchange that the modem dials into to log in. See Super POP.
(2) (Post Office Protocol) See POP3.
(3) Retrieve an item from a stack. See push/pop.
(4) (Package for Online Programming) See POP-1.
(5) See package on package.