Aimed | Article about aimed by The Free Dictionary
AIM (redirected from aimed)
Also found in: Dictionary
AIM(1) (AOL Instant Messenger) America Online's instant messaging service, which supported text chat, photo sharing, online gaming and PC to PC voice. An AIM list of Instant Messenger contacts was called a "Buddy List." AIM was part of America Online and then a stand-alone service in 1997 but was discontinued at the end of 2017. See instant messaging and AOL.
(2) (Application Integration Middleware) An umbrella term for middleware software that ties applications together. See application integration, middleware and PPMW.
(3) (Association for Automatic Identification and Mobility, Warrendale, PA, www.aimglobal.org) The trade association for the automatic identification and data capture (AIDC) industry. Established in 1982 as a product division of the Material Handling Institute (MHI), AIM is involved in setting standards for barcodes, magnetic stripes and RFID technology. See also AIIM.
(4) (Apple IBM Motorola) The alliance of Apple, IBM and Motorola that developed the PowerPC chip. See PowerPC and Apple-IBM alliance.
Copyright © 1981-2019 by The Computer Language Company Inc. All Rights reserved. THIS DEFINITION IS FOR PERSONAL USE ONLY. All other reproduction is strictly prohibited without permission from the publisher.
References in periodicals archive
Liberal arts education has always been aimed
at educating the student as opposed to educating a student to get a job.
When he could find no partners in this intellectual crime, he enlisted James Madison's support as a fellow member of the university's board of overseers in drafting regulations aimed
at suppressing political heresy.
Over the next several years following the sale of AHC, Norins launched several titles--one for retail store managers, one aimed
at professional lobbyists, and another covering state sales tax issues--"all of which seemed like great ideas at the time," he says.
One proposal is aimed
at paired-shared REITs and three additional proposals affect all REITs.
The product will be aimed
particularly at wire and cable applications, where it reportedly could offer better retention of physical properties.
- aileron angle
- aileron booster
- aileron buzz
- aileron drag
- aileron reversal
- aileron station
- Ailes, Roger Eugene
- Ailey, Alvin
- Ailey, Alvin, Jr.
- Ailly, Pierre d'
- Ailsa Craig
- Aimable Jean Jacques Pélissier
- Aimanov, Shaken
- Aimanov, Shaken Kenzhetaevich
- Aimard, Gustave
- Aimé Césaire
- Aimé-Jules Dalou
- aiming angle
- aiming circle
- aiming error
- aiming point
- aiming post
- aiming screws
- Aimkhan Shamuratova
- aimless drainage
- Aimurzaev, Zholmurza Murzauly
- Ainalov, Dmitrii
- Ainalov, Dmitrii Vlasevich
- Aino Ackté-Jalander
- Aino Gustav Bach-Liimand
- Aino Talvi