aldosteronism


Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Wikipedia.
Related to aldosteronism: secondary aldosteronism

aldosteronism

[al′däs·tə·rə‚niz·əm]
(medicine)
Hypertension induced by excessive secretion of aldosterone.
References in periodicals archive ?
44) investigated the effect of B2R gene C-58T genotypes on BMI in patients with hypertensive primary aldosteronism and found that BMI measurements in individuals with the T/T genotype were lower than those with the T/C or C/C genotypes.
Laboratory challenges in primary aldosteronism screening and diagnosis.
Care should be taken in cases where the hypersecretion of aldosterone to the cardiovascular system is observed, as in many patients, especially geriatric ones, hypertension, hypokalemia, and azotemia or evidence of cardiovascular changes are misattributed to chronic kidney failure or heart failure as primary disorders rather than the direct effect of primary aldosteronism (DJAJADININGRAT-LAANEN et al.
The aetiological profile remains the same as in the adult population, where 90% of cases are due to primary hypertension and the remaining 10% are secondary to renal parenchymal and renovascular disease, primary aldosteronism, medications such as oral contraceptives, cocaine or amphetamines, and rare causes such as coarctation of the aorta.
Primary aldosteronism (PA) is a secondary cause of hypertension that is often missed due to inadequate clinical evaluation and the lack of classically described laboratory abnormalities.
Weber, "Parathyroid hormone, a crucial mediator of pathologic cardiac remodeling in Aldosteronism," Cardiovascular Drugs and Therapy, vol.
APCCs are distinct from aldosterone-producing adenomas (APAs), which cause primary aldosteronism (PA), in the following aspects [1, 2]: (i) APCCs are approximately 0.
Reverse remodeling and recovery from cachexia in rats with aldosteronism," The American Journal of Physiology--Heart and Circulatory Physiology, vol.
First described by Conn in 1955, primary aldosteronism is defined as a group of disorders in which aldosterone production is inappropriately elevated, relatively independent from the renin-angiotensin system, and nonsuppressible by sodium loading.
Among these secondary conditions is primary aldosteronism, overproduction of the hormone aldosterone by the adrenal glands, resulting in imbalances of sodium and potassium.