androphore

(redirected from androgynophore)
Also found in: Dictionary.

androphore

[′an·drō‚fȯr]
(botany)
A stalk that supports stamens or antheridia.
(invertebrate zoology)
A gonophore in cnidarians in which only male elements develop.
References in periodicals archive ?
FLOWERS DAY LENGTH January 12 1:20 pm February 21 12:42 pm March 20 11:50 am April 0 11:14 am May 0 10:48 am June 0 10:43 am July 0 10:44 am August 9 11:36 am September 9 12:15 am October 22 12:54 am November 33 1:22 pm December 26 1:29 pm Table 3--Measurements of floral parts MEARUREMENTS MEAN MODE STANDARD DEVIATION Diameter (cm) 7,9 7,5 0,724 Petal (cm) 3,3 3,2 0,277 Sepal (cm) 3,4 3,5 0,259 Bracts (cm) 2,6 -- 0,264 Peduncle (cm) 7,9 -- 1,322 Pedicel (cm) 1,8 1,9 0,244 Androgynophore (cm) 3,2 3,4 0,249 Ovary Diameter (mm) 3,7 1,6 0,539 Ovary Length (mm) 5,6 -- 0,396 Ant x Cor (cm)* 1,7 1,6 0,241 Ant x Ope (cm)** 2,9 2,9 0,316 ** Ant x Oper (cm) means the distance between the axis of anthers and the operculum, in centimeters.
Androgynophore: Androgynophore represents elongated stalk-like located between accessory and essential organs of passion flower, and it is ranged from 14.0 to 15.7 mm at different flashes (Table 1).
Hence, the nectar robbers apparently limited themselves to piercing holes only in the wall of the hypanthium, without harming anthers, stigmas, ovaries or androgynophore. Two types of scars were identified: one of them made by flower piercers (76%), which consisted of two holes, one circular and one elongated, corresponding to the penetration of the hypanthium by the lower and upper part of the bill, respectively; the other corresponds to bumblebees (24%), with holes and sizes of various shapes, since these animals chew the surface of the nectary.