Mentioned in ?
References in periodicals archive ?
Scott touted The Antiquary in its own advertisement as completing 'a series of fictitious narratives'.
Unlike these authors who she thinks of as using life as a "plastic and docile and malleable" material simply for the sheer love of decoration, Remizov goes about employing his materials, Russian folklore, which is on the brink of extinction, in a way that has 'more of the antiquary than the decorator' about it (79).
5) The present essay is part of a larger project to correct this situation through close attention to the scholarly contexts behind tales first published under the title Ghost Stories of an Antiquary.
TOWARD THE MIDDLE OF THE ANTIQUARY (1816), WALTER SCOTT'S THIRD Waverley novel, two neighbors and friends meet to discuss "money matters.
Woolson's description of the man, who is older, "small" and "travel-worn" in appearance, and too focused on his book and the antiquities to notice the women, marks him as an antiquary, typically imagined as an older gentleman who takes an almost obsessive interest in antiquities.
Stars such as the one and only Thomas Pennant (naturalist, antiquary, traveller), the Welsh Nightingale Sarah Edith Wynne, Paul Panton (Antiquary), Harpist and composer Osian Ellis, Actor/Dramatist Emlyn Williams and of course modern day movie legend Jonathan Pryce.
In the early days they included the philosopher David Hume, the antiquary William Stukeley and the lawyer William Blackstone.
The scrapbook had been transferred from the Canadian Parliamentary Library in 1973 and had previously been owned by Dawson Turner (1775-1858), a British banker, botanist, antiquary and Fellow of the Royal Society.
Cartoons by Thomas Rowlandson, including one that depicts a leering antiquary examining a toothily bespectacled mummy, are vivid realisations of the antiquaries' supposedly macabre interests.
The ex-Teardrop Explodes member lives there, is down with all things antiquary and musicology, and the album sounds mystically good.
Blairgowrie's new Antiquary restaurant boasts an eye-catching decor as well as a picturesque setting by the River Ericht.
Over a century after their first publication, his Ghost Stories of an Antiquary remain one the most admired collections of supernatural tales in the English language.
Encyclopedia browser ?
- antipitching fin
- anti-plagiarism software
- antipodal points
- Antipov, Nikolai
- Antipov, Nikolai Kirillovich
- Antipov-Karataev, Ivan
- Antipov-Karataev, Ivan Nikolaevich
- antiprincipal planes
- antiprincipal point
- antipropeller end
- antiprotonic atom
- Antiprotozoal Remedies
- Antique and Classic Boat Rendezvous
- antique collecting
- antique crown
- antique finish
- antique glass
- antiquum opus
- Antirabic Unit
- antirachitic vitamin
- antiradar coating
- antiradiation missile
- antirattle spring
- anti-redeposition agent
- Antireflection Coating
- Antireligious Propaganda
- Antirent War
- antiresonant circuit
- anti-Rh agglutinin
- anti-Rh immunoglobulin
- anti-Rh serum
Full browser ?
- Antiquarian Book Dealers Association of South Carolina
- Antiquarian Book Monthly Review
- Antiquarian Booksellers
- Antiquarian Booksellers Association of Canada
- Antiquarian Booksellers Association of Japan
- Antiquarian Booksellers of New Jersey
- Antiquarian Booksellers' Association of America
- Antiquarian Horological Society
- Antiquariorum Regiae Societatis Socius
- Antiquary barrow
- Antique & Vintage Woods of America
- Antique Advertising Association of America
- Antique Airplane Association
- Antique Americana Folk Art
- Antique and Amusement Photographers International
- Antique and Classic Boat Rendezvous
- Antique and Classic Boat Society
- Antique and Classic Car Club of Canada
- Antique and Classic Snowmobile Club of Canada
- Antique and Collectible Show Promoters Association