Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical.
1. A flat broad piece of finished lumber or trim placed directly under a windowsill.
2. A flat piece of wood mounted under the base of a cabinet.
3. Same as counterflashing.
4. Same as apron flashing.
5. Paneling on the exterior of a building which serves as a protection against weather or as a decorative feature.
6. That portion of a concrete slab which extends beyond the face of a building on adjacent ground, as the extension of a garage floor.
7. A vertical panel at the back of a sink or lavatory.
8. In a theater, that part of a stage which projects into the audience area beyond the proscenium and curtain line; a forestage.
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of Architecture and Construction. Copyright © 2003 by McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.