(redirected from astronomically)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus.


Of or pertaining to astronomy or to observations of the celestial bodies. Also known as astronomic.
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of Scientific & Technical Terms, 6E, Copyright © 2003 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.

tropical year

tropical yearclick for a larger image
The period between two successive vernal equinoxes, the time the earth takes to complete one orbit around the sun relative to the first point of Aries. Its length was 365 days 5 h 48 min and 45.19 s in 2000, and it is changing by 0.00000006162 x y days (y in Julian years from 2000), or about 5 milliseconds/year. The tropical year differs from the solar year by 1 part in 26,000, since this is the period of the earth's precession about its rotational axis combined with the precession of the perihelion of the earth's orbit. Also called an astronomical, equinoctial, natural, or solar year. It contains one complete cycle of seasons.


The period of incomplete darkness following sunset and preceding sunrise. Twilight is designated as civil, nautical, or astronomical, as the darker limit occurs when the center of the sun is 6°, 12°, and 18°, respectively, below the celestial horizon. The period of civil twilight before sunrise is known as morning civil twilight and after the sunset as evening civil twilight. The air almanac lists the local mean times of the beginning of morning civil twilight and the end of evening civil twilight in exactly the same format as sunrise and sunset tables. The twilight tables are printed on the right-hand pages facing the sunrise and sunset tables, with each pair covering the same block of calendar dates.
An Illustrated Dictionary of Aviation Copyright © 2005 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved
References in periodicals archive ?
"The last day of fasting will be July 16 and Eid Al Fitr will fall on July 17, astronomically."
Gujarat's debt burden, which was around ` 50,000 cr during the Keshubhai Patel regime, rose astronomically after the Modi took charge
Practitioners should be wary of astronomically high levels of CA 19-9, which are usually considered diagnostic of biliary malignancy but can be seen in benign conditions.
Labour and Conservative governments alike have been deeply relaxed about the 1% of the population whose wealth has grown astronomically in value at the expense of the remaining 99% of the population.
That's not much difference astronomically speaking, and probably isn't enough to allow astronomers to easily distinguish between two such systems in real life.
A national water grid would be astronomically expensive and who would pay for it?
His speed at fitting increased phenomenally And his earnings rose absolutely astronomically.
The pharmaceutical industry in the United States is wrought with corruption; medications are astronomically overpriced and with an ever increasing sick population, these costs are bankrupting the American economy.
Sudhir Bhargava, additional secretary, said 'There is a provision that if prices go to astronomically high levels, the government may intervene, but as of now, there are no plans as such to regulate petrol prices.'
Bored with banning astronomically fatty foods for 15-year-olds he's now actually trying to persuade 20 teenage academic drop-outs that going back to school is the best thing for them.
Ibrahim Al Jarwan, Astronomy Researcher and Supervisor of Sharjah Planetarium, said the crescent moon of the Holy Month of Ramadan will be astronomically born on Tuesday, August 10, at 7.08am UAE time and will disappear after sunset on the same day, and Wednesday will the first day of Ramadan.
SALALAH: The Governorate of Dhofar is gearing up for the forthcoming Khareef Season (monsoon rain season), which astronomically begins on June 21 and lasts till September 22 every year.