barb(redirected from barbs)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Idioms.
Related to barbs: tiger barbs
1. any of the numerous hairlike filaments that form the vane of a feather
2. a beardlike growth in certain animals
3. a hooked hair or projection on certain fruits
4. any small cyprinid fish of the genus Barbus (or Puntius) and related genera, such as B. conchonius (rosy barb)
5. any of the small fleshy protuberances beneath the tongue in horses and cattle
a breed of horse of North African origin, similar to the Arab but less spirited
Austral a black kelpie (see kelpie)
Collins Discovery Encyclopedia, 1st edition © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
A means of representing wind speed in the plotting of a synoptic chart, being a short, straight line drawn obliquely toward lower pressure from the end of a wind-direction shaft. Also known as feather.
A side branch on the shaft of a bird's feather.
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of Scientific & Technical Terms, 6E, Copyright © 2003 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.