blue(redirected from bluer)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Idioms.
1. any of a group of colours, such as that of a clear unclouded sky, that have wavelengths in the range 490--445 nanometres. Blue is the complementary colour of yellow and with red and green forms a set of primary colours
a. a sportsman who represents or has represented Oxford or Cambridge University and has the right to wear the university colour (dark blue for Oxford, light blue for Cambridge)
b. the honour of so representing one's university
3. Brit an informal name for Tory
4. any of numerous small blue-winged butterflies of the genera Lampides, Polyommatus, etc.: family Lycaenidae
5. Archery a blue ring on a target, between the red and the black, scoring five points
6. a blue ball in snooker, etc
Collins Discovery Encyclopedia, 1st edition © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
The hue evoked in an average observer by monochromatic radiation having a wavelength in the approximate range from 455 to 492 nanometers; however, the same sensation can be produced in a variety of other ways.
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of Scientific & Technical Terms, 6E, Copyright © 2003 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.
in American flag, symbolizes justice. [Color Symbolism: Leach, 242; Jobes, 356]
Allusions—Cultural, Literary, Biblical, and Historical: A Thematic Dictionary. Copyright 2008 The Gale Group, Inc. All rights reserved.
A language proposed by Softech to meet the DoD Ironman requirements which led to Ada. ["On the BLUE Language Submitted to the DoD", E.W. Dijkstra, SIGPLAN Notices 13(10):10-15 (Oct 1978)].
This article is provided by FOLDOC - Free Online Dictionary of Computing (foldoc.org)