bousillage, bouzillage

A mixture of clay and Spanish moss or clay and grass; used as a plaster to fill the spaces between structural framing; particularly found in French Vernacular architecture of Louisiana of the early 1700s. A series of wood bars (barreaux), set between the posts, helped to hold the plaster in place. Bousillage, molded into bricks, was also used as infilling between posts; then called briquette-entre-poteaux. Also see pierrotage.
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of Architecture and Construction. Copyright © 2003 by McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.
References in periodicals archive ?
The central house is constructed of hand-hewn, heart-of-cypress timbers and walls of brick-like bousillage. Garconniere wings were added in 1810-1812 and the house was renovated in Greek Revival style in 1840.