knee(redirected from bowed the knee)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Idioms.
1. the joint of the human leg connecting the tibia and fibula with the femur and protected in front by the patella
a. the area surrounding and above this joint
b. reaching or covering the knee
3. a corresponding or similar part in other vertebrates
4. anything resembling a knee in action, such as a device pivoted to allow one member angular movement in relation to another
5. anything resembling a knee in shape, such as an angular bend in a pipe
6. any of the hollow rounded protuberances that project upwards from the roots of the swamp cypress: thought to aid respiration in waterlogged soil
Collins Discovery Encyclopedia, 1st edition © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
A bent or curved element used to stiffen a joint where two members meet at an angle, such as a timber frame column and beam.
Illustrated Dictionary of Architecture Copyright © 2012, 2002, 1998 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved
The articulation between the femur and the tibia in humans. Also known as genu.
The corresponding articulation in the hindlimb of a quadrupedal vertebrate.
In a knee-and-column type of milling machine, the part which supports the saddle and table and which can move vertically on the column.
The lower supporting structure for an arm in a resistance welding machine.
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of Scientific & Technical Terms, 6E, Copyright © 2003 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.
2. A part of the back of a handrail having a convex upper surface.
3.See label stop, 2.
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of Architecture and Construction. Copyright © 2003 by McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.