According to the book Historic Carmarthenshire Homes and their Families by Francis Jones, Gurrey Manor's original name was Glan y Gyrre, and was described in deeds as 'the capital messuage
called Glan y Gyrre'.
There exists in the Middlesex Registry of Deeds a complicated conveyance registered on 5 November 1718,(23) by which Richard Morgan junior transferred to Samuel Strode possession of certain tenements in Chelsea but protected his right of way across a brick-walled close of land next to the capital messuage
sold to Josias Priest and his trustees on 17 August 1697.
The first account begins more or less precisely on December 20th, 1558, nine days before Lord Robert Dudley (as he was then) received his first gift from Elizabeth, the house known only as the capital messuage
of Kew', which was to be his residence until he sold it in either 1564 or 1565.