carbonado


Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Financial, Wikipedia.

carbonado:

see diamonddiamond,
mineral, one of two crystalline forms of the element carbon (see allotropy), the hardest natural substance known, used as a gem and in industry. Properties
..... Click the link for more information.
.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia™ Copyright © 2013, Columbia University Press. Licensed from Columbia University Press. All rights reserved. www.cc.columbia.edu/cu/cup/

carbonado

[kär·bə′nā·dō]
(mineralogy)
A dark-colored, fine-grained diamond aggregate; valuable for toughness and absence of cleavage planes. Also known as black diamond; carbon diamond.
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of Scientific & Technical Terms, 6E, Copyright © 2003 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.
References in periodicals archive ?
He also served as interim president of North Seattle Community College and interim superintendent for the Carbonado School District.
Sadly, the odds-on Carbonado broke down in this contest.
To get fives grammes of diamond you may have to mine a million grammes of rock, and even then only 20 per cent of what you find will be of gem quality -- the other 80 per cent, known as either bort or carbonado, is fit only for industrial use.
Private burial will be at Carbonado Community Cemetery in Washington.
POLLY GUNDRY continued her title chase when replacing Philip Pritchard, who had a damaged thumb, to win the restricted with Bill and Jill Tuck's Carbonado.
Estos crudos constituyen una mezcla heterogenea de hidrocarburos alifaticos y aromaticos, muchas de cuyas moleculas incluyen atomos de S unidos covalentemente a su esqueleto carbonado. Estas moleculas se encuentran preferencialmente presentes en la fraccion conocida como asfaltenos, de las cuales una de las mejor estudiadas es el dibenzotiofeno (DBT), una molecula aromatica sulfurada (Galarraga y Perez, 1991; Mc Farland, 1999).