chapter house

(redirected from chapter houses)
Also found in: Dictionary.

chapter house,

a building in which the chapter of the clergy meets. Its plan varies, the simplest being a rectangle. At Worcester, England, the Norman builders created a circular chapter house (c.1100), with vaulting springing from a central pillar. Subsequent examples, adopting this central support for their vaulted roofs but frequently having a polygonal plan, are among the most distinctive achievements of the English Gothic builders. Those at Salisbury, Wells, and Westminster Abbey (1250) are octagonal, while that at Lincoln is decagonal. At York, the octagonal room (c.1300) exhibits a departure in that it dispenses with the central column and is covered with a vaulted wooden roof.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia™ Copyright © 2013, Columbia University Press. Licensed from Columbia University Press. All rights reserved. www.cc.columbia.edu/cu/cup/

Chapter house

A place for business meetings of a religious or fraternal organization; usually a building that is attached to a hall for gatherings; occasionally contains living quarters for members of such groups.
Illustrated Dictionary of Architecture Copyright © 2012, 2002, 1998 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved

chapter house

A place for business meetings of a religious or fraternal organization; occasionally also contains living quarters for members of such a group.
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of Architecture and Construction. Copyright © 2003 by McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.
References in periodicals archive ?
Her goal is to set up a central facility where people from all over the country can learn how to train the dogs, then return home to set up their own chapter house. "That's coming together.
To open a chapter house, Reecher requires the woman of the house have a need for personal protection dogs.
Within the cloistral range, the chapter house was one of the most significant spaces and was used for a variety of functions central to the life of the community.
The chapter house was also a space of some fluidity, the status of which changed in relation to the functions performed there.
A very striking example of a meeting in a chapter house that clearly reflected the reasons behind the choice of this venue is recorded in The Chronicle of Melrose.
The collection of relics on which the oath was made must have included St Waltheof's, whose marble shrine was located at the entrance to the chapter house. (34) Waltheof was the second abbot of Melrose, half-brother of Earl Henry, and also a former monk at Rievaulx and a friend of Abbot Ailred of Rievaulx.
The ceremonies of admission into the confraternity usually took place in the chapter house. Confraternities bound 'special friends' of the community to it, and provided commemoration in the form of secure continuity of intercessory prayers.
(44) His body was moved to Melrose and buried in the chapter house 'contrary to the wishes of the monks of that house', that is, Kelso's.
The most desirable monastic spaces for lay burials were the church and the chapter house. These sites were limited to a much narrower group of laity than were the cemeteries.
As described earlier, the chapter house was a space particularly rich in meaning.
In Marienwalde Abbey, the sculptural heads of columns supporting the entrance to the chapter house depict Abbot Herman of Kolbacz from where the community of Marienwalde originated and one of the founders, Margrave Otto IV.

Full browser ?