act(redirected from cleans up act)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial.
1. the formally codified result of deliberation by a legislative body; a law, edict, decree, statute, etc.
2. a formal written record of transactions, proceedings, etc., as of a society, committee, or legislative body
3. a major division of a dramatic work
a. a short performance of skill, a comic sketch, dance, etc., esp one that is part of a programme of light entertainment
b. those giving such a performance
5. Philosophy an occurrence effected by the volition of a human agent, usually opposed at least as regards its explanation to one which is causally determined
(in New Zealand) Association of Consumers and Taxpayers: a small political party of the right
Collins Discovery Encyclopedia, 1st edition © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
- to carry out or perform any unit or sequence of social behaviour. See ACTION.
- to play or act out social roles as if on a stage. See DRAMATURGY.
- any unit of ACTION or behaviour.
- the ‘accomplished act’ rather than the process of social action (Schutz, 1972). See also ACTION.
Collins Dictionary of Sociology, 3rd ed. © HarperCollins Publishers 2000
On drawings, abbreviation for “actual.”
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of Architecture and Construction. Copyright © 2003 by McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.
This article is provided by FOLDOC - Free Online Dictionary of Computing (foldoc.org)
ActA very popular customer relationship management (CRM) application for Windows from Swiftpage ACT! LLC (www.act.com). Officially titled with an exclamation point, reps use Act! to review the notes they previously took along with their customers' email messages and Facebook profiles. A Mac version, now discontinued, was offered earlier.
Act! integrates with popular applications and enables customer reps to access the data simultaneously. Cloud and hosted versions along with custom solutions are also available.
Originally a DOS program for contact names, Act! debuted in 1987 from Conductor Software, later renamed Contact Software International. Although Act!'s ownership changed several times, it evolved into a comprehensive application for the sales professional to organize and track customer details. The product moved from Contact Software to Symantec to SalesLogix (renamed Interact Commerce) to the Sage Group and then Swiftpage in 2013.
|An Act! Contact Record|
|These screen shots from an earlier version of Act! show each contact in a name and address record (top) from which activities are scheduled (bottom right). Activity history is on the bottom left.|
Copyright © 1981-2019 by The Computer Language Company Inc. All Rights reserved. THIS DEFINITION IS FOR PERSONAL USE ONLY. All other reproduction is strictly prohibited without permission from the publisher.