close(redirected from closable)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Legal, Financial, Idioms.
restricted or prohibited as to the type of game or fish able to be taken
1. Law private property, usually enclosed by a fence, hedge, or wall
2. Brit a courtyard or quadrangle enclosed by buildings or an entry leading to such a courtyard
3. Brit a small quiet residential road
4. the precincts of a cathedral or similar building
5. Scot the entry from the street to a tenement building
6. Music another word for cadence. A perfect cadence is called a full close an imperfect one a half close
Collins Discovery Encyclopedia, 1st edition © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
What does it mean when you dream about closing something?
Closing a door can mean closing a chapter of one’s life. We can also close our hearts to someone or close our eyes to something.
The Dream Encyclopedia, Second Edition © 2009 Visible Ink Press®. All rights reserved.
To make a file unavailable to a computer program which previously had access to it.
Colloquially, descriptive of oppressively still, warm, moist air, frequently applied to indoor conditions.
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of Scientific & Technical Terms, 6E, Copyright © 2003 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.
1. An enclosed space around or at the side of a building; esp. the neighborhood of a cathedral.
2. A narrow lane leading from a street.
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of Architecture and Construction. Copyright © 2003 by McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.
close(1) To finish reading or writing a document. The close function typically saves any changes made to the document and releases the file so it can be used by another application. Contrast with open.
(2) To exit an application. Contrast with launch.
Copyright © 1981-2019 by The Computer Language Company Inc. All Rights reserved. THIS DEFINITION IS FOR PERSONAL USE ONLY. All other reproduction is strictly prohibited without permission from the publisher.