cyclothymic disorder


Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Wikipedia.

cyclothymic disorder

[¦sī·klə‚thī·mik dis′ȯrd·ər]
(psychology)
A mild form of bipolar disorder in which the intensity of the depressive or manic episodes does not reach full criteria.
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of Scientific & Technical Terms, 6E, Copyright © 2003 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.
Mentioned in ?
References in periodicals archive ?
It includes a 10-year epidemiological forecast for both 12-month and lifetime total prevalent cases of bipolar I, bipolar II, and cyclothymic disorder segmented by sex and age in these markets.
In addition, there are two other forms of bipolar disorder: bipolar disorder not otherwise specified (BP-NOS) and cyclothymic disorder, or cyclothymia.
The majority of patients were within the schizophrenia spectrum (82.8 %), while the other patients (17.2 %) had a variety of typical psychiatric diagnoses such as delusional syndrome, mental disturbances, addiction syndrome, bipolar disorder, depression, cyclothymic disorder, dysthymic disorder, panic disorder, anxiety disorders, obsessive-compulsive disorder, behavioral disorders, personality disorders, and attention disorders.
(4,6,10) In considering the whole spectrum of bipolar illnesses (bipolar I disorder, bipolar II disorder, cyclothymic disorder, and bipolar disorder not otherwise specified), some authors have, controversially, suggested that the prevalence rate may be as high as 5% in the population.