energy of rotation

energy of rotation

[′en·ər·jē əv rō′tā·shən]
(physics)
Kinetic energy of a mass with moment of inertia I rotating with angular velocity ω about the axis, expressed as E = ½ I ω2.
References in periodicals archive ?
As currents and winds come about through an opposite thrust on solid mass, the rate of rotation of the mass would need to change, to keep the total energy of rotation unchanged.
The component of the energy of rotation in the whirling atmosphere of Venus is hence not negligible like it is on Earth.
The first pass through the runner allows the largest part of this energy (around 70%) to be converted into useful kinetic energy of rotation, while the remaining (30%) harnessed energy is converted when the water exits the runner into the draft tube.