Only eleven months after its adoption, the act was repealed in favour of another one, in which a simple distinction was created between buildings erected within the fire limits of 1850 and those located outside it.
In addition to modifying the fire limits, the new text included a clause on structures that had been defined as belonging to the fifth class in 1850.
After requiring "the express permission or license of the Board of Health" for any new slaughterhouse, the ordinance specified that the building be "situated at least 100 feet from any public street, and 300 feet from any residence or dwelling, except that of the owner of such slaughter house, and that it is in no manner injurious to the public health." (53) The intersection of geographic and functional differentiation was now addressed explicitly: construction was subjected to distinct rules inside and outside fire limits, and residential and non-residential construction were treated differently within these limits.
The graphic representation did not replace the textual definition of the fire limits, but it did give the reader a concrete impression of the spatial differentiation that the bylaw operated.
The first change concerns the fire limits. A sentence added during council deliberations on bylaw no.
Until that time, lumberyards had been allowed within fire limits A only if there remained at least then feet of space between them and surrounding buildings.
The code of 1890 shows the growing complexity of building regulations; it contains seventy-seven sections occupying over twenty-one pages, plus a six-page verbal description of fire limits. (81) The new provisions it introduced reflect the changes that were occurring in the city at the time.
The appearance of large apartment buildings in Toronto was reflected in the adoption of requirements for the thickness of foundations and bearing walls, modulated according to the number of stories (from one to ten), in "buildings used as a dwelling house, apartment house, tenement house or lodging house." (86) The process of differentiation and specification culminated in the new building code of 1904, with its 154 sections, occupying close to a hundred pages, and its nine-page description of fire limits. (87) Bylaw no.