device(redirected from flow-restricted oxygen-powered ventilation device)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical.
1. a machine or tool used for a specific task; contrivance
2. any ornamental pattern or picture, as in embroidery
3. computer hardware that is designed for a specific function
4. a particular pattern of words, figures of speech, etc., used in literature to produce an effect on the reader
Collins Discovery Encyclopedia, 1st edition © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
A general-purpose term used, often indiscriminately, to refer to a computer component or the computer itself.
An electronic element that cannot be divided without destroying its stated function; commonly applied to active elements such as transistors and transducers.
A mechanism, tool, or other piece of equipment designed for specific uses.
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of Scientific & Technical Terms, 6E, Copyright © 2003 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.
In an electric system, a component that is intended to carry, but not consume, electric energy, e.g., a switch.
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of Architecture and Construction. Copyright © 2003 by McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.
This article is provided by FOLDOC - Free Online Dictionary of Computing (foldoc.org)
device(1) Hardware. The term refers to any electronic or electromechanical machine or component from a transistor to a disk drive to a smartphone. A device always refers to hardware, never to software. However, a "device driver" refers to software written to activate (to drive) a specific hardware device (see driver).
A User or Client Device
In general conversation, "the user's device" refers to the hardware operated by a person and may refer to a smartphone, tablet, iPod, laptop or desktop computer, but not to devices in a network (see network device).
(2) In semiconductor design, a device is an active component, such as a transistor or diode, in contrast to a passive component, such as a resistor or capacitor.
Copyright © 1981-2019 by The Computer Language Company Inc. All Rights reserved. THIS DEFINITION IS FOR PERSONAL USE ONLY. All other reproduction is strictly prohibited without permission from the publisher.