Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Wikipedia.


catechu (kătˈəcho͞o) or cutch, extract from the heartwood of Acacia catechu, a leguminous tree of the pulse family, native to India and Myanmar. Catechu is a fast brown dye used for various shades of brown and olive, including the familiar khaki, and also in tanning. White cutch is a synonym for gambier, a leaf extract of a shrub (Uncaria gambir) of the madder family, which is similarly used.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia™ Copyright © 2022, Columbia University Press. Licensed from Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
The following article is from The Great Soviet Encyclopedia (1979). It might be outdated or ideologically biased.



gambier-catechu, a tanning extract obtained from the leaves and young shoots of the climbing shrub Une aria gambir of the Rubiaceae family. It contains 40-50 percent tanning agents. In the countries of Southeast Asia gambier is used to tan light skins and also to dye them in yellowish-brown shades.

The Great Soviet Encyclopedia, 3rd Edition (1970-1979). © 2010 The Gale Group, Inc. All rights reserved.
References in periodicals archive ?
To look for archipelago-specific effects, two grow-out sites were selected per archipelago: Gambier (Atiaoa and Taku bays), Society (Tahaa and Raiatea Islands), and Tuamotu (Ahe and Arutua atolls).
Dr Jozua van Otterloo and Professor Ray Cas estimated that Moung Gambier's last eruption was a similar size to the Eyjafjallajokull, Iceland eruption in 2010, which caused global chaos after sending ash into flightpaths.
Mount Gambier Library is an attractive 200 page publication, with an index of personal names but no general index.
Mount Gambier, in the southeast of the state is wetter and cooler (than Adelaide) with a long-term mean annual rainfall of 775 mm, falling on average over 121 days (based on 113 years of data).
Uncaria gambier tannin (Stiasny value 74.5%, hide powder tannin content 59.49%, nontannins 20.08%, and total solubles 79.57%) is a commercial product obtained after the separation of katha and was supplied by Chemistry Division, Forest Research Institute, Dehradun (patent no.
Benefiting particularly from the acquisition of Willis Gambier, the Group's UK segment recorded a satisfactory growth; while the launch of a new series by US branded divisions and new business also helped the Group's overall performance, alleviating the impact of the declining furniture market in North America.
"This man who did the shooting was hanging out in the area of West Bay Street and Gambier Village," Bethel said.
Lawyers from the firm complete the purchase by Samson Holding Ltd of the assets of Willis Gambier - whose products are sold in High Street stores such as Marks & Spencer, John Lewis and House of Fraser - in four days.
The route begins in Apollo Bay, Victoria, finishing at the spectacular Mt Gambier located in South Australia.
O'Connor, 43, of 20 Gambier Ave., Worcester, formerly of 13 Winthrop St., Worcester, was charged with two counts of larceny over $250 after police arrested him in late 2005.
I was all aflutter with these thoughts and frustrations when my wife and I arrived in Gambier. No, Gambier is not a city in Kenya.
Didier Gambier, currently head of the Joint Development of Fusion unit of European Union's Energy Directorate, has been named Director of the European ITER Domestic Agency in Barcelona.